The States Part 6 of Indian Constitution has Articles 152 to 237
What is Part 6 of Indian Constitution
Here are some key aspects covered in Part 6 of the Indian Constitution:
- Article 152 – Definition of the State: Article 152 defines the term “State” for the purposes of the Constitution. It includes territories and the government established in those territories.
- Article 153 – Governors of States: This article deals with the appointment and powers of Governors in states. Governors are the constitutional heads of states and act as representatives of the President of India at the state level.
- Article 154 – Executive Power of State: Article 154 provides for the executive power of the state to be vested in the Governor and to be exercised by him or her either directly or through officers subordinate to him or her.
- Article 155 – Appointment of Governors: This article specifies the appointment and term of office of Governors.
- Article 156 – Term of Office of Governors: Article 156 deals with the term of office of Governors and their removal from office.
- Article 157 – Qualifications for Appointment as Governor: This article lays down the qualifications for appointment as a Governor.
- Article 161 – Power of Governor to Pardon: Article 161 grants the Governor the power to grant pardons, reprieves, etc., and to suspend, remit, or commute sentences in certain cases.
- Article 162 – Executive Power of State Subjects to Constitution: Article 162 specifies that the executive power of the state shall be subject to the provisions of the Constitution.
- Article 163 – Council of Ministers: This article deals with the Council of Ministers of a state, which is headed by the Chief Minister. It discusses their appointment, powers, and responsibilities.
- Article 164 – Other Provisions as to Ministers: Article 164 contains provisions related to the appointment of ministers, their qualifications, and the oath they take.
- Articles 165-169 – Advocate General for the State: These articles deal with the appointment, duties, and powers of the Advocate General for the state.
- Articles 170-191 – Composition of State Legislatures: These articles provide details about the composition, powers, and functioning of the Legislative Assembly (Vidhan Sabha) and Legislative Council (where applicable) in states.
Constitution Of India Part 6 The States – Articles 152 to 237