Article 371C of Indian Constitution: Special provision with respect to the State of Manipur
Article 371C Special provision with respect to the State of Manipur – Constitution Of India
Manipur Article 371
(1) Notwithstanding anything in this Constitution, the President may, by order made with respect to the State of Manipur, provide for the constitution and functions of a committee of the Legislative Assembly of the State consisting of members of that Assembly elected from the Hill Areas of that State, for the modifications to be made in the rules of business of the Government and in the rules of procedure of the Legislative Assembly of the State and for any special responsibility of the Governor in order to secure the proper functioning of such committee.
(2) The Governor shall annually, or whenever so required by the President, make a report to the President regarding the administration of the Hill Areas in the State of Manipur and the executive power of the Union shall extend to the giving of directions to the State as to the administration of the said areas.
Explanation.—In this article, the expression “Hill Areas” means such areas as the President may, by order, declare to be Hill areas.
What is Article 371C of Indian Constitution
Article 371C of the Indian Constitution contains special provisions for the state of Manipur. This article provides for certain safeguards and autonomy for the state of Manipur in matters of administration, education, and employment.
Key provisions of Article 371C include:
- Special Provision for Manipur: Article 371C was inserted in the Constitution to address the specific needs and circumstances of Manipur.
- Legislative Assembly: Manipur is provided with a Legislative Assembly, and certain seats in the assembly are reserved for the Hill Areas in the state.
- Autonomy in Administration: The Governor of Manipur is given special responsibility for the Hill Areas of the state. The Governor has the authority to ensure the autonomy of these areas in matters of administration.
- Power of the Hill Areas Committee: There is a provision for a Hill Areas Committee in the Legislative Assembly of Manipur. This committee is responsible for reviewing and making recommendations on matters like the allocation of funds for the development of the Hill Areas.
- Reservation of Seats: Article 371C allows for the reservation of seats in educational institutions and in public employment for the people of Manipur, particularly those from the Hill Areas.
- Protection of Rights: The article aims to protect the cultural, social, and economic rights of the people of Manipur, especially those belonging to the Hill Areas.
Constitution Of India Part 21 Temporary, Transitional And Special Provisions – Articles 369 to 392
Article 370 of Indian Constitution – Temporary provisions with respect to the State of Jammu and Kashmir
Article 371 of Indian Constitution – Special provision with respect to the States of Maharashtra and Gujarat
Article 371D, 371E of Indian Constitution – Special provisions with respect to the State of Andhra Pradesh
Article 371H of Indian Constitution – Special provision with respect to the State of Arunachal Pradesh