Article 243O Bar to interference by courts in electoral matters
Notwithstanding anything in this Constitution,—
(a) the validity of any law relating to the delimitation of constituencies or the allotment of seats to such constituencies, made or purporting to be made under article 243K, shall not be called in question in any court;
(b) no election to any Panchayat shall be called in question except by an election petition presented to such authority and in such manner as is provided for by or under any law made by the Legislature of a State.]
What is Article 243O of Indian Constitution
Article 243O lays down provisions for the reservation of seats in Panchayats and aims to promote social justice and gender equality. It mandates that:
- All seats in a Panchayat shall be filled by direct election from territorial constituencies within the Panchayat area.
- The population-to-seat ratio in each territorial constituency should be as equal as possible throughout the Panchayat area.
- Not less than one-third of the total seats should be reserved for women belonging to the Scheduled Castes or Scheduled Tribes.
- Not less than one-third of the total seats should be reserved for women in every Panchayat.
- The offices of the Chairpersons in Panchayats at different levels should be reserved for the Scheduled Castes, the Scheduled Tribes, and women, as determined by the State Legislature through appropriate laws.
These provisions are aimed at ensuring fair representation and participation of marginalized groups, particularly women and Scheduled Castes or Scheduled Tribes, in the functioning of Panchayats.